Working with Parents in Partnership
Parents are encouraged and supported to play a role in the life of the Academy. Family learning is offered as part of the wider community engagement strategy. Skills for Life, English as a Second Language, ICT, dance and sport are the initial focus. The Academy builds on existing good practice, working with families through a range of activities such as The School Sport Partnership.
Examples of parent activities include:
- Adult Learning Courses
- Active Together – Family Activities
- Living Wise
- Health Trainers
- Cook 4 Life
- Extreme Golf
- Internet Rangers – Computer support
- Table Tennis
- Climbing Wall – sessions and training
- Lets Get Cooking Club
- Zumba – Fitness through dance
- Community Use – e.g. recreational football
- Family Transition Activities
- Performances – Indian Dance, Wizard of Oz
- Card Making
- X Bike workouts
Parental Volunteers WANTED!
The academy would like to develop and extend their parental involvement through involving parents in volunteer opportunities within the academy or the local community. Opportunities include supporting our student leaders to develop their roles, please see plan overleaf for areas which may be of interest.
The academy has opportunities for parents in a range of roles additional to this including:
- Breakfast club / activity leader – table tennis, Wii challenge
- Climbing Wall Coach
- Reading support group
- House Activity Planner and Fundraising support
- Golf Extreme Family Club
- Multi Sports Clubs
- Lets get cooking facilitators
- Teaching Assistant volunteer
- Supporting our behaviour management groups
- Debate Society assistant
Help is also needed in the following community areas:
- Hockey/Dance at John Leggott College
- Rugby at John Leggott College
- Netball/Football at North Lindsey College & FTC
- Gymnastics in a school setting.
- Disability at The St Lawrence Academy
- Badminton at Bottesford Sports Hall
- Basketball at West Common Sports Hall
- Tennis at Appleby Frodingham Tennis Courts
We also welcome parent volunteers within the academy. We welcome suggestions from parents as to how we can support them and their family to meet their needs and interests.
Parent Involvement and Participation forum:
Parent Careers Roadshow
We are keen to involve our parents in events and activities at the academy. With the important time of Options approaching, we would like to invite parents to volunteer to talk to small groups of students to talk about their job and give students a real picture of the world of work.
Other Parent activities / information have included:
- Transition Activity Mornings
- Internet Rangers
- Holding Hands in North Lincolnshire
- A-Z of Council Services
Parent & Child Climbing
During November and December we ran a series of X Bikes classes in partnership with Leisure Services to staff, parents and the community. Should you wish to be added to our parent mailing list for activities and information please contact Helen Parker and information updates will be sent to you.
Family Numeracy and Reading
Working with Adult Education, we delivered activities during half term which enable parents to understand what students are doing in Maths and English. Family learning activities such as this extend learning into the home and enable the academy and parents to work together to support our student’s learning. Please contact Helen Parker to express an interest in future sessions or make suggestions relating to your interests.The Academy works in close collaboration with the local community, partner primary schools, other education providers and the Local Authority to provide the best learning environment for students and the local community.