In Year 7, students are encouraged to design for themselves. The current task is to design a small wooden storage unit. Students will be encouraged to conduct necessary research and produce a design that is totally customised to their own specific needs.
Students will learn:
- To conduct surveys of different wrist sizes
- To use marking tools such as try square and marking gauges
- To cut with a tenon saw and coping saw
- To smooth materials with smoothing plane, glass paper, wet and dry paper
- To finish woods with wood varnish and wax
- The classification of woods and plastics
- The difference between self and applied finishes
- About the structure of wood.