The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). For schools this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against students or treat them less favourably because of their gender; race; disability; religion or belief; gender reassignment; sexual orientation; pregnancy or maternity.
Under the Act the academy is expected to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty. This require us to:
Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
Foster good relations between different groups
The St Lawrence Academy aims to provide the highest education for all of our students. The ethos of our academy reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of our academy community.
The objectives for 2017/2018 are:
- To promote cultural understanding development and awareness of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our academy and beyond
- To promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions where necessary
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students and all groups of students; especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups
- Continue to improve accessibility across the academy site for students, staff and visitors with disabilities, including access to specialist teaching areas
- To reduce the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in the academy
- To continuously review and revise the curriculum so that it represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect
- To ensure equity of access to, and outcomes from the academy curriculum
- To raise the awareness and skills of staff to promote fairness, equality and good relations in the context of their role
For further information please see our Equal Opportunities & Diversity Policy