Within the academy we strive to create a learning environment, curriculum, experiences and relationships in which all individuals can find expression, be nourished and developed.
The academy commits itself to creating an environment for everyone that is characterised by our core values of Truth, Justice, Forgiveness, Generosity and Respect.
STUDENTS WILL STUDY:
EAL First Certificate in Engineering Technology
Curriculum Progress Leader: Skills Centre Plus
Level 2 Technical Award
Graded Pass, Merit & Distinction 1 exam 1 centre assessed tasks
Unit 1: Engineering environment awareness
Unit 2: Engineering techniques
Unit 3: Engineering principles
1 hour on-screen exam
Unit 31: Motor Vehicle Maintenance Safety Practices (25%)
Link to further information:
What are the benefits of the course?
- Develops skills and understanding which will be of use generally and as part of a progressive career path to further technical or academic engineering qualifications
- Offers a useful introduction for students who intend to continue to the Engineering, Motor Vehicle or Manufacturing and Product Design Diplomas
How will I be assessed?
- The course consists of 3 mandatory units, delivered at Skills Centre PLUS over a 2 year period
- These units are assessed by an on-line exam which is externally assessed and moderated, and counts for 75% of the qualification
- Unit 31 is a controlled assessment, internally assessed and counts for 25% of the qualification
What key skills will I develop on the course?
- Quality issues – tolerances and using accurate measurement systems
- Planning and organisation – organising the work, planning sequences of operations
- Analyse and revise the completed project, taking into account how it could be improved
- Engineering processes including material removal, shaping and manipulation, joining and assembly, heat and chemical treatment and surface finishing
- Machine operations such as turning, milling or routing, drilling, cutting, sawing, casting, etc.
What will this qualification allow me to do?
- Engineering related qualifications (engineering, mechanical, motor vehicle, etc)
- Apprenticeships or engineering award courses
*Please seek advice about post 16 progression. Certain GCSE grades are required for the above courses.