In Year 8, students receive 2 hours of core Physical Education per week and 1 hour of Health and Leadership activities (YOUR Leaders programme).
As part of their core PE lessons pupils are offered a broad and balanced range of activities. These include: –
- Dance (Girls only)
- Netball (Girls only)
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities/Climbing
- HRF (Project based learning to record fitness levels)
- Rugby (Boys only)
Students increase their competence and confidence in Physical Education by building upon the work carried out in Year 7. They further develop skills, tactics and compositional ideas and continue to make progress in learning through the process of performing, analysing and making decisions.
Health and Leadership
The YOUR Leaders programme enables students to develop personally and socially. They work as part of a team in a range of activity settings and are allocated roles and responsibilities, such as: Team Captain, Equipment Coordinator, Warm-up Coach, Technical Coach and Official. In Year 8, the roles become slightly more challenging and more responsibility is given to pupils. Some students will also have the opportunity to access the Sky Living for Sport Project.
Health and Leadership lessons also encompass a Fitness Programme and Inter-house Sports Competitions. Fitness is developed through a range of training methods (continuous, interval, circuit, x-bikes, etc) and SAQ stations (Speed, Agility & Quickness). House competitions include a variety of team games (i.e. Football, Netball, Basketball, etc), as well as individual fitness challenges (i.e. Climbing, Indoor Rowing, Cross Country, Athletics, etc).
Parents can assist their children by:
- Encouraging them to adopt and healthy and active lifestyles.
- Ensuring they are organised with PE kit for lessons.
- Supporting the delivery of extra-curricular sporting activities and fixtures offered at school.
- Encouraging their child to join local sports clubs. The PE department can provide contact details and information on clubs on request.
- Extra-Curricular Clubs and Inter-school fixtures are offered in the following activities: –
- Girls – Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Mini Hockey, Rounders, and Trampolining.
- Boys – Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Cricket, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Mini Hockey, Rugby, and Trampolining.