Staff and students at the academy are celebrating some excellent GCSE results for the Class of 2015. In relation to the students achievements, there are many notable individual performances which stand out, including:
- George Forrester, who achieved 4 x A*, 8 x A, 1 x B and 1 x Distinction*
- Ellie Coult, who achieved 2 x A*, 8 x A, 1 x B and 1 x Distinction*
- Amathur Musarrath, who achieved 9 x A and 2 x B
- Musa Dube, who achieved 7 x A, and 4 x B
- Ryan Poma, who achieved 1 x A*, 3 x A, 6 x B and 1 x Distinction
In relation to the overall students best achievement in their exams, 56% of them achieved five or more A* to C grades in English and Maths.
“We are delighted with the results and I would like to congratulate all the students and staff for their hard work in achieving another strong set of results. They give a positive end to another successful year at the academy.”
Joan Barnes, Principal
Recognised for Outstanding Learning in Religious Education
We are delighted to announce that The St Lawrence Academy has recently gained national recognition for high quality learning in religious education.
We have achieved a silver award for the national RE Quality Mark. The REQM recognises high quality learning in religious education. The process to achieve the award was a rigorous one which helped us to think about what we are doing well in RE. An important part of the REQM is that an assessor visits the school and talks to the learners about their experiences in RE. Our students had some wonderful things to say about RE. These are just some of the things they had to say:
- This school has a truly amazing RE department that ensures all students are learning about various religions allowing them to develop spiritually and mentally.
- I think that RE is a good way to express my opinions.
- I learn lots of things about respect and other religions that make me think that we are all similar.
- The department is very thorough with the topics covered and they are keen to get the best/top grades out of every student.
- I would like to thank my school for giving us the opportunity to learn about different religions and more about others.
- RE is a GCSE that opens up opportunities.
The fact that the students were involved in the process was invaluable as it is evident very quickly whether they love and actively engage in RE. The REQM enables us to drive forward the message that we are committed to ensuring high quality RE takes place in our academy and the benefits of this.
Are you interested in training to become a Secondary School Teacher?
Please click on the links below for further information on this.
Dear Potential Teacher Trainee
Other helpful links/information for Potential Teacher Trainees: